Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3

From: Eric A. Cottrell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:12:23 -0500

Robert McGwier wrote:
>> Now if we can only get our hands on one or more of these PS3's.   If you
> want to get a real laugh,   search for PS3 using froogle and look at all
> of the listings in the thousands of dollars.  MADNESS.
>
> Anyway,  now that we have very good information,  I have placed my
> pre-order with Yellow Dog Linux FROM Yellow Dog Linux for $100.  This is
> a nonrefundable deposit.  If you do this,  it comes preloaded with YDL,
> running when it shows up, and the delta price between PS3 and PS3+YDL is
> less than them individually.
>
> Bob

Hello,

Not to mention the violence associated with just owning or wanting to
own the PS3.  March/April time frame seems like a long time to wait for
a device released in November.  Might as well buy one at Dayton.

Pre-Christmas shopping for hot items is insane madness.  There may be
some hope in January to get one.  My company has given me Boxing Day off
as a bonus.  I am going to hang around and see if I can pick up a PS3
after the user has fallen into The Uncanny Valley. :)

What is the street price for a PS3?  I read somewhere that there is $800
worth of hardware in the box.  Does that make it a $1200 to $1600 toy?

Isn't USB getting too slow for input with this type of box?  How am I
going to decode and display two HDTV signals at the same time?

73 Eric