[Discuss-gnuradio] HF front end for USRP (and other ADCs)

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] HF front end for USRP (and other ADCs)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:23:18 -0500

I'm always nervous about pre-announcements, but there seem to be a fair
bit of interest in this topic lately, so here goes...

I'm working on an HF RF front-end project that will be available through
TAPR (http://www.tapr.org).

The circuit lineup will basically be a low pass/high pass filter
combination (to knock down strong AM, FM, and TV stations followed by a
20dB amplifier, which feeds six output channels.

Each output channel will have a bandpass filter; the idea will be that
across the six outputs you can cover the whole HF spectrum with good
selectivity.  Alternatively the filters can be bypassed for other uses.
 The outputs will be DC isolated and transformer coupled to minimize
ground loops and signal feedthrough.

One of my ideas is that with this board plus two BasicRX boards you can
run four simultaneous HF receivers with decent performance.

I'm hoping the board will be available within 3 months or less, and the
price should be around $100 as a kit.

I have no idea how many people might be interested in this.  If you are,
please drop me a line so I can get some sense of how many kits to
initially package.

John
----