Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AOR 5000 as front end to USRP

From: Eric A. Cottrell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AOR 5000 as front end to USRP
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:51:11 -0500

Eric Blossom wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 01:42:31PM -0500, Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks to both of you for the information.  I got the RX PGA gain up all
>> the way.  I rewound the isolation transformer to be 1:1 with 14 turns.
>> I still have to turn off AGC for good signal levels but I got 20 to 30
>> dB SNR on RCI at noon today.
>>
>> Doing some simple tests with the PSD display in DReam I can not see the
>>   noise floor increase when the receiver connected.  The FFT from the
>> USRP data also shows no increase so an amplifier is needed.  What
>> amplifier do you use on the AR8600?
>
> I used a Ramsey PR2 broadband preamp (it's probably overkill, but it's
> what I had on hand)
> http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=PR2
>
> Eric

Hello,

Yeah, it looks like exactly what I need.  Maybe I will also try hooking
an antenna up to it and fry my LFRX board from the local AM radio
station down the street. :)  There is a local store that sells Ramsey
Kits so I may look there Tuesday night.

I seem to remember AMSAT-NA was giving out MMICs one year at the
symposium.  I should see if I have any.  The problem is finding them as
my "for a rainy day" cache is huge.

Is the PR2 battery powered or does it have a DC In?  I hope it is 12 volts.

73 Eric