RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python question

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python question
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:41:02 -0500

Nope, just a fun feature Python provides. It allows you to pass a dictionary
object as the arguments to a function.

Say we have a function prototype:
def foo(a, b, c):
We normally call this r = foo(<value_a>, <value_b>, <value_c>), but we could
just as easily call this as r = foo(b=<value_b>, c=<value_c>, a=<value_a>).

What we're doing in the receive_path is setting up a dictionary that would
look like (in the above example) di = {"a": <value_a>, "b": <value_b>, "c":
<value_c>} and calling foo as ret = foo(**di).

It allows us to create different modulators that have different arguments
they require. The "self._demod_class.extract_kwargs_from_otpions" formats
the dictionary for the specific modulation class being used, and that's then
passed to the modulator object. Makes for nice, flexible code.

Tom