Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SWIG compilation speedup!

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SWIG compilation speedup!
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:08:08 -0500

I just got the USRP running with an EFIKA board and OSSIE SCA. I'm
using the usrp-0.12 tarball. I had to use a USB2.0 controller in the
PCI slot to work around the usrp USB full speed problems I am having.

I took a quick look at using openembedded to build gnu radio. Thet
already support most of the required dependencies, but I noticed fftw
is missing. When I am bored (heh) I'll see about adding fftw and
seeing if I can get gnu radio to build in cross environment.

Philip

On 1/15/07, Trond Danielsen <address@hidden> wrote:
2007/1/13, Johnathan Corgan <address@hidden>:
> On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 16:12 +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
>
> > I can't see the point for doing so. I don't care if its takes me 15 minutes
or
> > 30 minutes to compile all GNU Radio.
>
> The biggest improvement isn't the compile time, it's the fact that the
> memory working set for g++ when compiling the previous
> gnuradio_swig_python.cc file was 650 MB.  This would cause massive swap
> thrashing on machines with say, 512 MB of RAM, or less, and drive the
> compilation time up to potentially hours.

This is great! I have a fairly new machine with 1G ram and a dual core
AMD cpu, and compiling GNU Radio used to bring the computer to its
knees :), so this is a great improvement. It is also good news as I
intend to run GNU Radio on my EKIFA single board computer, which only
has 128MB of RAM.

--
Trond Danielsen