Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8b/10b for GMSK

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8b/10b for GMSK
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:15:36 -0800

Brett L. Trotter wrote:

> Yay- congratulations- transferred 100MB successfully and all of my
> 'stumbler' packets- even with UDP.

You're using FSP (which goes over UDP), correct?  FSP has a retry
mechanism, so good.  Glad it's working now!

> I'm going to continue work on the 8b/10b, because I still think
> that's the closest 'real' solution to the issue- and the overhead
> isn't as severe as repeating 1500 byte packets-

Well, only the "stumbler" packets get repeated, and as you found, there
were only five in 10,000 that you tried. So your overhead isn't 100%,
it's no different than if your channel dropped one in 2000 packets. (For
those following, the problem before resulted in a complete link failure,
as the retransmitted packets on the connection would always fail CRC.)

> Worst case, it can be an option in the python that most people can
> leave turned off.

An 8b/10b line coding scheme would probably be best implemented as a
standalone hierarchical block that a developer could choose to use or
not as part of a flow graph implementing a transmit and receive path.

> FYI: Am achieving nearly 100kb/s with -r 800k on a BasicTX

Is that bytes or bits per second?

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC