Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] qa_*.py

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] qa_*.py
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:08:58 -0800

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 02:26:12PM -0500, Robert W McGwier wrote:
> Without exception,  on the ps3 under FC5-PPC,
>
> python qa_???.py
>
> generates a segment fault so make check fails of course in
> run_tests.sh.    There is no other information provided at the segment
> fault.
>
> Bob

That's what I saw too.  The standalone tests worked OK.

It could be that we're generating 64-bit .so's and that python is
compiled as a 32-bit app.

Try

  $ file /usr/bin/python

  $ file /usr/local/lib/libgnuradio-core.so

If that's the case, then compiling our stuff in 32-bit mode would be
the next experiment.  I think you can get that with

  $ CXXFLAGS="-mno-powerpc64" ./configure

Note that CXXFLAGS is in front of ./configure

Any PPC experts out there?  Besides the difference in address space,
is there any compelling advantage to using the PPC in 64-bit mode vs
32-bit mode?  On the X86-64 it's a big win to be in 64-bit mode since
you get twice as many registers.  I know that this isn't the case on
the PPC since you've always got 32 regs.

Eric