[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A low-budget SDR - Was: PCIe know-how?

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A low-budget SDR - Was: PCIe know-how?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:25:25 -0500

Yeah, I thought about PoE too, but I got the impression implementation
isn't that common. Or is it common? If it is, we'd once again save
some complexity and therefore money by using it.

I don't think it's that common, but you can buy what are called
midspans which are in-line with ethernet cables and supply the power.
Therefore, if the host to the peripheral doesn't have PoE available,
the midspan gets put in there and supplies the power.

One that supports gigabit ethernet can be found here:

   http://www.powerdsine.com/Products/Midspan/PD_3001.asp

As for complexity - it doesn't necessarily get simpler because of
that.  You need to get a chip that will handle all the arbitration of
doing PoE and do the DC/DC conversion for you.  TI has one, and is
cheap ($1.50 I believe) - but it still adds to the BOM and to your PCB
size.

I've set up a blog to begin collecting the ideas. Located here:

http://guerillasdr.blogspot.com/

--
Nos

Brian