Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New digital modulation receiver in trunk

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New digital modulation receiver in trunk
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:54:53 -0500

Tom Rondeau wrote:
-----Original Message-----

Yes, I'm sure these are related. It has a lot to do with how much the phase
rotates between samples, and the Costas Loop corrects the phase for every
sample; if the SNR is high and you have many samples per symbol, many of
those samples are going to have lower amplitude (not the maximum SNR you'd
see when just sampling at the symbol peak); the noise can easily push these
around, which would cause the Costas Loop phase detector to mis-trigger, and
the phase correction for this sample would be wrong.

The new method makes a decision on the sampling time to maximize the SNR,
then the Costas loop part uses this to make the phase and frequency
adjustments.

At least, I think this is what is happening.

This is what SHOULD happen. You make phase/frequency estimates only at the proper sampling instant where the SNR is maximum in most cases.

Tom

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine