Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] changing the vctcxo

From: Roshan Baliga
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] changing the vctcxo
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:54:49 -0800

Hans Glitsch wrote:
I want to change the clock on the usrp. Anyone know of a mail order place that would have the right kind of vctcxo at 38.4MHz ? I tried Digikey and Mouser. no luck.

Based on the common frequency table here:

http://www.cardinalxtal.com/common-frequencies.htm

it doesn't look like it's going to be easy to find a 38.4 MHz vctcxo.

I just spent a decent amount of time looking for more stable clocks to replace the onboard TCXO. I found that unless you're willing to order a custom TCXO/OCXO (which is expensive and takes a long time), your best bet is to choose a frequency which is common, and then use one of those TCXOs. That way, you get the quantity advantage. For example, a 13 MHz GPS TCXO that's 0.5 ppm can cost well under $10. (Also, don't forget you can multiply the clock up, either using a discrete IC, or some transistors.)

-Roshan