Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MSB

From: Davide Anastasia
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MSB
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:26:08 +0100

Il giorno gio, 15/03/2007 alle 12.17 -0700, Eric Blossom ha scritto:
> I think you'll find it easier to do the unpacking in a separate block
> downstream from the usrp1_source_s.  Modifying usrp1_source* to handle
> samples smaller than 1 byte is going to take quite a bit of work.
> Part of the problem is that the code is written in terms of functions
> such as sizeof_basic_sample() which returns a size in bytes.  In your
> case, your basic sample is smaller than a byte.  The current code
> doesn't know how to deal with that.

I'm think about this question since I turn on my PC today. :)
Ok, I receive from USRP a stream of samples. They are raw, not packed.
So, if I use a 1 bit quantization, I have 8 samples in a byte; with 2
bit, 4 samples... and so on! But any module in GNU radio uses only char,
short, gr_complex (std::complex, is the same?). If I change
usrp1_source* to return always * samples, I reach my purpose. And then,
after usrp1_source*, I can use every module in the library I need.

What's my fault(s) in this reasoning?
--
Davide Anastasia

web: http://www.davideanastasia.com/