RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Artefacts in usrp_fft.py

From: Mike Garcia
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Artefacts in usrp_fft.py
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:50:37 -0700

Hi Luis,

Google "receiver spurs" or "rf spurs" or "a/d spurs". Those kinds of things
may be the culprit. One test I often do if I suspect a spur is note the
frequency of the spur, tune the receiver by say 1khz, and then look at the
frequency of the spur again. If it doesn't move or it moves in the opposite
direction or it moves an amount other than 1khz, than it's an internal
artifact and not external. Can you connect a spectrum analyzer in front of
the A/D and see if the spurs are there? You might also consider histograming
your noise-only input. The histogram should be Gaussian shaped and
zero-mean. Any sort of A/D problem could show up in the histogram. For
example, spikes in the histogram may indicate bits that are "stuck". Also,
A/D's tend to have quantization effects that are periodic and so show up as
spurs. Adding dithering noise helps to break up the periodicity and reduce
the spurs. I'd be interested in what you find.

Mike