[Discuss-gnuradio] Troubleshooting GPS on DBSRX

From: Chris Stankevitz
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Troubleshooting GPS on DBSRX
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 02:22:21 -0700

Short Version:
Please help me troubleshoot why I cannot acquire GPS with my USRP+DBSRX, but I can using KD7LMO's sample data recorded with USRP+DBSRX.

Long Version:

Hi,

I wrote a GPS acquisition routine which operates inside a GR block fed by the USRP or gr.file_source. The acquisition routine is a variation of the weak signal approach presented in "Fundamentals of Global Positioning System Receivers a Software Approach".

My acquisition routine works great when applying GR's file_source on the KD7LMO USRP-recorded GPS samples. However, I cannot acquire using a USRP source_c. Please share any tips you have. Here are some things I tried:

1. Antenna/environment
Assuming GPS was simply not visible from my window, used the Leadtek 9546EVK (http://tinyurl.com/yqx3nv) with the same GPS antenna I used on the USRP. The Leadtek was able to acquire and track GPS with C/N0 > 40. I have tried using this antenna on the USRP with and without a 30dB low noise amplifier.

2. Birdies
When commanded to tune to GPS L1 (1.57542GHz), the DBSRX front end tunes to a slightly higher freq (r=8,n=3151,Fs=4e6) and compensates with a software DDC. Witht these values of r and n, a birdie can be seen at L1+1MHz in USRP's FFT and in an HP spectrum analyzer hooked to a GPS antenna near the USRP. I eliminated it with different values of r and n (r=2, n=788) and a slightly higher DDC. I accomplished this by adding a hack at line 289 of db_dbs_rx.py that works when Fs=4e6:
        # Avoid birdie when LO is set close to L1
        if freq==1575420000:
          best_r = 2
          best_n = 788

3. Signal generator
Thinking I was improperly tuning the USRP, I connected a signal generator to it and verified that L1 was being brought to baseband. However I was frightened to see some artifacts on the USRP FFT that do not appear on the HP spectrum analyzer. They appear out of the noise for strong input signals (-75dBm).

4. Enclosure
I do not have an enclosure for my USRP.  This could be a problem.

5. Others
KD7LMO managed to record a beautiful signal (40+ C/N0) and I don't think he did anything fancy except use an amplifier. I wonder if i am doing something boneheaded e.g. setting the gain to zero.

Q: Should I be worried about the birdie I saw?
Q: Does my hack do what I think it does?
Q: Should I be worried about these artifacts I see?
Q: What does set_gain() do on the USRP with a DBSRX board? What should I set it to?

Thanks for your help and ideas.  I am a c++ guy new to this antenna stuff.

Thanks,

Chris