Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bits to frame / mblocks

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bits to frame / mblocks
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 09:22:29 -0700

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 03:01:23AM -0700, George Barrinuevo wrote:
> What is the GNURadio method to convert bits into a
> frame.  A frame is a set of bits which constitutes and
> complete message.  The data stream usually comes in
> having a dotting, syncword, message-bits format.  How
> can I put all of this in a set/frame and send it to
> the next block as a set/frame.  Also, how does the
> receiving block accept data on a per set/frame method?
>
> Thanks,
>
> George Barrinuevo
> address@hidden

Hi George,

You'll want to use the new mblock features.
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/MessageBlocks

The wiki page and BBN doc are a bit out of date.  See the files below
for the current API.

This is work-in-progress, and not currently usable.  However, I expect
to have much of it working sometime later this week.  To fully utilize
it with the USRP, we'll also need the inband-signaling extensions for
the USRP.  Those will will take longer to complete.  We're currently
estimating May for those.

The work is taking place in the svn repository here:

  http://gnuradio.org/svn/gnuradio/branches/features/inband-usb

The files below provide the bulk of the API.  It's still moving around
a bit, but the basic flavor is unlikely to change much.

Polymorphic types (similar to Python or LISP data types):

http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/branches/features/inband-usb/pmt/src/lib/pmt.h

The primary interfaces:

http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/branches/features/inband-usb/mblock/src/lib/mb_runtime.h

http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/branches/features/inband-usb/mblock/src/lib/mb_mblock.h