Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Maximum I/Q signals frequency limit for TX

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Maximum I/Q signals frequency limit for TX
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:42:46 -0700

Shaiful wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to generate complex I/Q waveforms using
this command (for 700 KHz):

./usrp_siggen.py -T A -w 700000 -f 0

>From the mailing list, I've read that the USRP can
transmit up to 44 MHz.
Unfortunately I can only transmit clean quadrature I/Q
signal only up to 700 kHz.  Above the frequency, I'm
starting to see two or more waveforms for each
generated quadrature I/Q signals.

If I increase the frequency further to 1 MHz, USRP
only generate one signal from TX_A connector, there is
no signal from TX_B connector.   Both TX_A and TX_B
connectors are on daughter board of 'USRP Tx side A'
as indicated by '-T' flag. FYI, I'm using LFTX
daughter board not the Basic ones.

If I transmit more than 1 MHz, the frequency is still
cap at 1 MHz.

Any idea what is happening and how to get higher
frequency?

Thanks,

>From the mailing list, I've read that the USRP can transmit up to 44 MHz.
Unfortunately I can only transmit clean quadrature I/Q
signal only up to 700 kHz.  Above the frequency, I'm
starting to see two or more waveforms for each
generated quadrature I/Q signals.

If I increase the frequency further to 1 MHz, USRP
only generate one signal from TX_A connector, there is
no signal from TX_B connector.   Both TX_A and TX_B
connectors are on daughter board of 'USRP Tx side A'
as indicated by '-T' flag. FYI, I'm using LFTX
daughter board not the Basic ones.

If I transmit more than 1 MHz, the frequency is still
cap at 1 MHz.

Any idea what is happening and how to get higher
frequency?

Yes. the -w frequency is the baseband frequency. To go higher you need to change the -f frequency which is the carrier frequency, or lower the interpolation rate.

Matt