[Discuss-gnuradio] another Swig question

From: Hans Glitsch
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] another Swig question
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:57:58 -0700

Hi,

I've got my own swig problem that I can't seem to figure out.  I'm sorry this email is so long.  I'm asking for swig help from the gnuradio group because I didn't think anyone else would understand the gnuradio block build environment.

I'm trying to use the tinyxml++ code in my gnuradio blocks.  tinyxml++ is just c++ code that you compile into your app, there is no lib to link with.  I added the cpp and h files to the same directory that holds my gnuradio blocks, then I added the following to the Makefile.am:

_sm_la_SOURCES = \
<snipped other source files listed here>
ticpp.cpp \
tinystr.cpp \
tinyxml.cpp \
tinyxmlerror.cpp \
tinyxmlparser.cpp

"make" and "make install" complete without errors - there are no unresolved externals, etc...

I didn't add anything to the sm.i file because I am not interested in using the tinyxml++ code directly from python.

When I run my python code that imports the sm library, I get the following error:  "ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/_sm.so:
undefined symbol: _ZN5ticpp8Document11GetAsStringEv"

ticpp::Document::GetAsString is a function in the tinyxml++ code.  I'm don't understand how python even knows about that function, because none of the tinyxml++ header files are in my swig input file, and they are not included by any of the header files that are in my swig input file.

I found documentation on this "undefined symbol" error on the swig.org site (section 29.2.5 of the SWIG documentation), but it only says:

"This error usually indicates that you forgot to include some object files or libraries in the linking of the shared library file. Make sure you compile both the SWIG wrapper file and your original program into a shared library file. Make sure you pass all of the required libraries to the linker."

If I had forgotten to include some object files, or libraries in the linking of my block code, I would get an unresolved external error.  I don't understand what's wrong.  Please give me a hint.

Thanks,
Hans

believed to be clean.