Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PS3 and gnuradio

From: Clark Pope
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PS3 and gnuradio
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:14:43 -0400

From: Luke Scharf <address@hidden>
To: Clark Pope <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:56:22 -0400

Clark Pope wrote:
Anyway, you're saying the way to go is FC6 and not YDL, right? Maybe Eric can confirm he plans to use FC6?

I've been on the YDL list for a while, since we use them for their Apple XServe support. (I run FC6 on my G5 Tower desktop, for the reasons that I'll mention shortly).

From the discussions I've read, it seems that if you want to fully exploit the Cell parts of the CPU, YDL is probably the way to go -- at least they're packaging a lot of Cell-specific development tools that look like they could be useful. Also, the TerraSoft crew is quite responsive to the needs of their scientific/numerical users.

On the other hand, if you want something that looks like a regular Linux desktop, then Fedora is certainly the way to go -- there are a lot more pre-compiled packages, especially WRT desktop and multimedia applications. Can anyone say anything more about Cell support on Fedora?

Why not try both and see which one matches your needs better?

-Luke

My main interest is signal processing (though I'm thinking about playing with mythtv), so I'm just looking for the the load that is most likely to be supported by gnuradio. I guess I'll go with whatever eric picks when he gets back.

-Clark

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01