Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why 4 ADC's?

From: Ian Larsen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why 4 ADC's?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:57:47 -0400

Thank you, that's very helpful.

I assume this also true for the BasicRX daughterboard?  (Doesn't do
downconversion, but does do analog multiplication to get I and Q?)

-Ian

On 7/18/07, Johnathan Corgan <address@hidden> wrote:
Ian Larsen wrote:

> I have a conceptual question about the USRP.  Why are there 4 A/D
> converters?  Is it only for flexibility reasons, or can you acheive
> double the sampling rate by clocking two of them 180 degrees of from
> each other and interleaving the resulting data?

Neither.

Each daughterboard receiver does complex analog downconversion and
produces two resulting baseband signals, the in-phase (I) and quadrature
(Q) outputs.  Each of these is sampled by a separate ADC, and with up to
two receiver boards, this requires all four ADCs present.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC