Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Freq_xlating filter parameter

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Freq_xlating filter parameter
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:08:23 -0400

I am using this function (now; wasn't then), with success: changing the sign of the "center_freq" argument definitely messes things up. The "center_freq" argument is:

freq_xlating_center_freq_argument = current_center_freq - desired_center_freq

where "current_center_frequency" is defined by the returned structure, r = usrp.tune (..., target_frequency, ...):

current_center_frequency = r.baseband_freq + r.dxc_freq + r.residual_freq

IME, I've never seen "r.residual_freq" be significant compared to the target frequency to which to tune, so I've always used current_center_frequency = target_frequency.

Example: Suppose you want 2 RX channels centered at 440 MHz and 443 MHz, and that the USRP RX center frequency is tuned to 441 MHz. Then the "center_freq" argument for the 440 MHz channel would be 1M and for the other would be -2M.

As you've stated: These results seem to be the negative of the description provided by "gr_freq_xlating_fir_filter_XXX" ... or, more to the point: IMHO the description needs updating to be more accurate, possibly with the example above?

Hope this helps! - MLD