[Discuss-gnuradio] Cygwin build problem: python version

From: Andrew Rose
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cygwin build problem: python version
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:41:36 +0100

By way of introduction, I'm a new GnuRadio user, looking to have a play with it.  I don't have access to a Linux system, so I'm going with Cygwin.

The cygwin build instructions (http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/CygwinInstallMain) say that python 2.4 is required.  However, the cygwin mirrors don't carry python 2.4 any more.  (The current and previous versions are two 2.5 flavours.)

The only way I could manage to install all the other packages I needed, without getting in a horrible mess (with both version 2.4 and version 2.5 installed, with different packages using different versions) was to download an old python 2.4, hack a cygwin release.ini to force it into believing that I'd installed python, and keep putting the python action back to "keep" whenever it wanted to upgrade to a 2.5 version.

A few questions came out of this.

1. Does anybody know if python 2.4 still required, or does it work with 2.5 now?  The reason given in http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/WindowsTips is "the Numeric package assumes that Python 2.4 is used, and wxPython has unresolved build problems with Python 2.5; until fixed, use python 2.4.3-1 instead".  I don't understand this well enough to know if the restriction should still be in place.

2. Assuming python 2.4 is still required, is there an easier method than what I describe above to install version 2.4 and prevent cygwin installing 2.5 as well?

3. Whatever the answers to the above questions, how do I get an account to update the wiki with improved instructions?

Andrew