Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PS3 versus freedom

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PS3 versus freedom
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:57:01 -0400

John:

However, let me add hastily, nothing irks me more than the hypervisor and the hidden IP in the graphics chip. So be it. I do not want to steal anything that is covered by M$ DRM anyway and I do not envision us using the PS3 to do graphical display (since its memory is too small to support a window manager with any serious capability). I suggest that we do exactly what your note suggests and stick to what the thing is capable of delivering to use with free tools.

Bob

Robert McGwier wrote:
John:

We are not using xlc and are not likely to use xlc. We are using the free parts of the SDK including spu-gcc and ppu-gcc for example. For this project in fact, we cannot distribute any code built with xlc.

However, nothing about the gpl prohibits individuals from using xlc to generate binaries for their own use so long as they do not distribute the binary.

The PS3 has been available to the end users for only a few months. Yet, it really does speak to the foresight (and good taste) of Sony that before you or I could go to a store, even if it meant standing in line for hours and hours, they had published a bootloader and clear instructions on how to put Linux on the thing. Each and everything they have done in this area has been with the support of IBM and released GPL. Sony has multiple representatives in daily conversation with the lead developer for the kernel. Eric and I both monitor the group and the results will be the clear instructions (if non trivial) on bring up a useful kernel on the PS3 that allows us to develop and use gnu tools. IBM has contributed, under the GPL, their optimizations to FFTW. The impact of this on GnuRadio using the PS3 is not to be underestimated.

While I understand your concern, support your the basis for your stance on this and many of your other heartfelt issues turned cause célèbre, it is my OPINION that in this case, your concerns are misplaced.

Bob McGwier
(speaking only for myself)

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes