Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to debug the SSE assembler files (float_dotpr

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to debug the SSE assembler files (float_dotprod_sse.S)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:28:53 -0700

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 11:02:52PM +0200, Martin Dvh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am writing some new optimized SSE assembler routines.
>
> I am trying to debug them with gdb but are having the following problems.
>
> For some reason gdb doesn't find the source right, or shows the wrong source.
>
> When I set a breakpoint on float_dotprod_sse it thinks it is in file
> ../../../../../gnuradio-core/src/lib/general/gr_remez.cc, line 864.
> While in fact it is in file
> ../../../../../gnuradio-core/src/lib/filter/float_dotprod_sse.S
>
> I added -Wa,--gdwarf2 to CCASFLAGS to enable debugging assembler files.
>
> Also when I step in the assembler routine, it only shows me line line 864 of
> gr_remez.cc as it thinks this is the current sourcefile.
> And when I say list float_dotprod_sse it also shows gr_remez.cc
>
> Since I created a segfault in the assembler routine I would really like to
> step through it.
>
> Any ideas what goes wrong here, and how to solve it?
>
> Greetings and thanks,
> Martin Dudok van Heel

Try make installing the code first, otherwise you have to use libtool to
run gdb to get it happy.  After installing, you can use gdb without
magic.

FWIW, I think the way to run it via libtool is

  $ libtool --mode=execute gdb test_filter

However, I much prefer to run gdb from within emacs.
Thus, my preference for "make install" ;)

Eric