Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] hardware speedup factor starting from AMD Sempron

From: Juha Vierinen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] hardware speedup factor starting from AMD Sempron 3000+
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:37:26 +0200

> I have got my ETSI DVB-T transmitter code working on my linux box, which
> is based upon an AMD sempron 3000+ (single core) processor.
>
> Can anybody roughly esteem the speed up factor that I would have by
> upgrading to a state of the art desktop processor (maybe a dual core
> Intel Penryn)?

As Eric already said, this depends on your code and the type of
problem. But on average, I have seen a speedups of 2x  to 4x comparing
AMD Opteron to the new Core2 CPUs (single core programs). The main
reason is that Core2 has one SSE per clock cycle and AMD has one SSE
every other clock cycle IIRC. The new AMD processor should be as good
as Core2, but I haven't seen any in stores yet.

AMD opteron should be a bit better than sempron. So, if you manage to
fully paralisize your code, and you buy a machine with eight
processors, then you might be looking at a 16x speedup.

juha