Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] in-band signaling & dependent packets (i.e., ACK

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] in-band signaling & dependent packets (i.e., ACK generation)
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:00:56 -0500

You're not getting rid of the PHY layer.  You're incorporating this
mechanism into the PHY layer as opposed to having it within the MAC
layer.

I see, I want to go lower than the PHY layer really...

You can accomplish this by using some simple sign manipulation/zero
insertion and treating the GMSK as a simple PSK that only shifts 90
degrees for each transition.  No new multipliers should be required,
but memory will be needed for coefficients and samples.

How many bits is your address and how many bits is your frame sync?

Here's the thing, I don't want the solution to be dependent on the physical layer. The goal is a development platform, and by choosing a solution dependent on GMSK, I essentially lock all MAC development in to using GMSK. Is there a solution independent of the PHY layer? I suppose I'm still not sure :)

If some mechanism could be built in the FPGA that was highly reconfigurable, that would be fine... but it seems to be boiling down to different techniques per-modulation.

- George