Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frontend Hardware which is not USRP

From: Fasika Alemayehu
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frontend Hardware which is not USRP
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 00:48:24 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the reply ,

The receiver front end is similar with the usrp. The  data transfer  to and from the hardware  using the usb endpoints is similar with that of the usrp that you mentioned. But the problem is when i tried to contact the hardware , the response is that there is "failed to find usrp[0]". The product id and the vendor id of the usrp and our hardware are different. How can I solve this problem ? I read on the forum that I should add the device and vendor id to the list in usrp_ids.h and get the usrp developers to acknowledge it.

Best ,

Fasika

Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 01:28:38PM -0800, Fasika Alemayehu wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I also have got a similar situation. We are building a software
> defined radio using GNU radio. We have a receiver front end to test
> and analyze the performance of Wireless sensor nodes at 2.5GHz. The
> module is similar with USRP but we are studying the differences
> inorder to integrate the hardware with the gnuradio. I would really
> appreciate if I can find any documentation about the details of the
> signal transfer to/from the usrp and the usrp itself so that we can
> see the difference between the USRP and our hardware.
>
> Best ,
> Fasika

There is no documentation outside of that in the code on this.

However, it's pretty straight-forward. We talk to the USRP using 3
USB end points. EP0, the control endpoint, is used to load FX2
firmware and the FPGA .rbf file, low-level control of the
daughterboards, setting control registers in the FPGA, and other misc
operations. The list of operations and the arguments is in
usrp/firmware/include/usrp_commands.h

Received samples are sent from the FPGA via the FX2 over endpoint 6
using USB bulk transfers. Each USB packet is 512 bytes long, and the
data in each packet is interleaved 16-bit little-endian I & Q pairs.
I.e., I0, Q0, I1, Q1,...

Transmit samples are sent in the same format over endpoint 2 using
USB bulk tranfers.

The schematics of the USRP are available as PDFs and gscheme source
here: http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/usrp-hw/trunk/USRP_REV_4_2

Eric