Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Dynamic Range and 8 Bit Problem

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Dynamic Range and 8 Bit Problem
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:50:00 -0500

Hi Firas,

[several examples snipped]

d) With Sinewave signal at frequency =250KHz and 10dBm input power to
BasicRX we get ,

Theoretical calculations :
When +10dBm signal injected into 50 Ohm load, then signal RMS = 0.71Volt and
Signal P-P = 2.008183259Volt.

USRP readings :
The maximum counting obtained from USRP for this signal was 13570
(Saturated).

Discussion :
From the above results we see that the BASIC-RX is saturated when the input signal power was +10dBm. This is logical, since the maximum input signal to
the USRP ADC AD9862 is 2Volt P-P (according to its data sheets).

But, what is not logical is the value obtained from USRP FPGA. Since the
incoming data is 16bit signed number (for I and Q), we should get +/- 32767
readings for the maximum input signal of 2V P-P. Instead, we have maximum
reading of 13570. I don't know how this number was generated, but it should
be scaled to make use from the full dynamic range offered by using 16 Bit
data transfer.

The USRP takes the 12-bit sample (peak value of 2047), shifts it left 3 bits (peak value of 16376), then runs it through a CORDIC stage that multiplies it by approximately 1.647/2 (peak value of 13485). This is very close to what you see. For decimation by values that are not powers of 2, there is a further decrease in signal strength associated with the CIC decimator.

I think we could quickly double the processing gain (and gain 6 dB S/N and dynamic range at higher decimation rates) by either shifting by 4 bits before the CORDIC stage or eliminating the divide by 2 at the end of the CORDIC stage. The maximum processing gain would then be 8*1.647=13.176 (currently it is half that). We could also double the gain in the CIC decimator for decimations where the current gain is less than 1/1.647.

-- Don W.