Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TV video spectrum

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TV video spectrum
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:05:23 -0800

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 12:48:56PM -0800, Brook Lin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using TVRX to receive TV signal. I set decimation 8 to give a 8MHz wide
> frequency band which is larger than TV bandwidth 6MHz. Now I just use a
> piece of wire as the antenna, however, I think I receive audio spectrum
> rather than video spectrum. What kind of antenna I should use for observing
> video spectrum? Is this piece of wire fine? I also attach the plot I got for
> channel2, which is from 54MHz to 60MHz. Did I get right plot? What I am
> thinking is that the bandwidth of video should be larger than the one I got
> on the plot.
>
> Thanks,
> Brook
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p14721259/tvchannel2.jpeg

It basically looks OK, however, I'd try turning the gain down a bit.
It looks like the noise floor is pretty high.

The type of antenna you need depends on the frequency you're after.
If you're trying to receive VHF TV signals, a VHF TV antenna is what
you need -- try some "rabbit ears" from Radio Shack:

  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103077

Eric