Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and gnuradio errors - seems to disconnectoft

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and gnuradio errors - seems to disconnectoften
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:14:30 -0500

Casey Tucker wrote:

I've been doing some testing with a new USRP (manufactured 12/2007). My
configuration is an Intel USB interface on a P965-S motherboard. I dual-boot XP SP2 and Arch Linux. In XP I've used Cygwin and MinGW. I've tried removing all
but the TVRX board (which is mainly what I'm attempting to test), and my
problems persist. I've also switched to another USB cable just to be sure.

What seems to be happening, is at random intervals while running the test scripts (mainly usrp_wfm_rcv.py and usrp_tv_rcv), the GUI hangs, and when I exit the
GUI, I get messages as follow:

uOuOuOuOuOuOread: usb_reap_async: usb_reap_async: error: A device
attached to the system is not functioning.

I am familiar with this message. In my case, it occurs often (with Cygwin or MinGW) when I turn on (or sometimes off) any of several devices (desk lamp, power supply, amplified speakers) in my computer room. Using a constant-voltage isolation transformer on either the USRP or desk lamp makes no difference. The desk lamp, USRP, and computer are plugged into separate surge suppressors or outlet boxes. Devices elsewhere in the house have no effect.

usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: win error: The device
does not recognize the command.

usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: win error: The device
does not recognize the command

usrp_basic_rx: set_fpga_rx_enable failed
usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: win error: The device
does not recognize the command.

usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: win error: The device
does not recognize the command.

usrp_basic_rx: failed to fini AD9862 RX regs

I have not noticed these other messages.

I've tried using two versions of usblib (0.1.10.1 and 0.1.12.1), and even tried loading different firmware. The result is always the same. It also does not matter which environment I'm using, Cygwin, MinGW, or Linux; the result is the same. The other board I've tried using is the FLEX900 -- same results with its scripts.

I am using LFRX and also get similar errors under Linux.

I'm left to assume that I have faulty hardware, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who is experiencing such problems. Any ideas? Anyone? I've followed the
wiki instructions exactly.

My guess is that it is a hardware problem, but not necessarily in the USRP hardware. It would be interesting to see if other USB 2.0 devices that run continuosly at high data rates see similar disruptions, but I don't have any other such devices to test.

-- Don W.