RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS on USRP

From: Phaysal Khan
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS on USRP
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:44:34 +1100

Hi,
I used usrp_fft, and I can see a CW at 1575.42MHz, so it means that it is in the working condition, although I still get the same error msg once everytime i run anything. It says

$python usrp_fft.py -f 1.57542G
usb_contro_msg failed: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

But as I said, that I can see the generated CW on the usrp_fft graph, and the CW displayed on this graph follows the changes in frequency and amplitude made from signal generator, then I think we can ignore this error msg. We should be ready to move forward.

I am trying to use usrp_rx_cfile.py which I have altered as:
    u = usrp.source_c (0, options.decim, 1, gru.hexint(options.mux), 0)
    u.set_rx_freq (0, options.ddc_freq)
    u.set_pga (0, options.gain)
    u.set_pga (1, options.gain)
    c2r=gr.complex_to_real()
    dst = gr.file_sink (gr.sizeof_float, options.output_file)
    #fg.connect (u, dst)
    fg.connect(u,c2r,dst)
also, I am saving data to file as:

self.dst = gr.file_sink(gr.sizeof_float, filename)

 as the data is no more complex.

Now if I connect GPS antenna to my usrp board and run

python usrp_rx_cfile.py -c 1574.015M -o gps_IF_real_samples.dat

where IF = 1575.42M - 1574.015M =1.405M

this should give me a file consisting of real IF samples of GPS data, ok to use with Kai Borre software receiver. but this isn't happening! :S

Am I usring usrp_rx_cfile.py incorrectly or do I need to implement any filtering around this frequency?.... or I am missing a very basic thing here!?

Faisal A. Khan
Doctral Candidate
University of New South Wales
NSW 2052, Sydney, Australia