Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] parallels install

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] parallels install
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:34:46 -0400

I regularly do testing on VMWare Fusion and various Linux-es, for compiling and debugging scripts. I wouldn't use Fusion for a production application, because of the hit the VM takes relative with the native CPU speed, unless the app has no significant CPU requirements. That said, at least on Fusion I've had success running the USRP at close to 32 MB/s on an Intel-iMac. I don't use Parallels, so I can't comment on that particular VM application. Setup is identical to what you'd do on a native Linux box, except there is an icon to check (or uncheck) that attaches (removes) the USRP onto the VM's USB.

The primary pieces of advice I can give are:

* If you're going to use a VM (even for just testing of compiling and scripts), make sure your real computer has lots of DRAM. Mine has 2 GB, and that just barely does it when running the VM at 512 MB - keeping everything in DRAM instead of swapping out (which is very slow).

* VM's do not necessarily work like real hardware; sometimes yes, sometimes no. Just because you can't get whatever you're doing to work on the VM doesn't mean that it will or not work on real hardware.

- MLD