Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device

From: Eric Cottrell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:03:37 -0400 (EDT)

> Can you clarify for me, why should the DV Dongle contents be open source?
> What GNU licensed code are they using that requires them to give back?
>
> -Jeff
Hello,

The DV Dongle device uses open source firmware. It appears the manufacturer is
not following the provisions of the GNU license as documentation in the box and
the www.dvdongle.com website mentioned in the documentation has no mention of
the open source firmware, GNU licenses or directly provides the source code.

I am surprised that there is no open source project for the PC side of this
device.  I would start one but have not written too many Linux or Windows
drivers.  I need to find a driver guru to join the project.

The SDR-14, SDR-IQ, and DV Dongle use the same ASCP protocol.  My initial
thinking is doing  libascp libraries to handle the low level stuff.  I was
thinking of getting a SDR-IQ.

73 Eric