[Discuss-gnuradio] No Tx output from any daughterboards

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] No Tx output from any daughterboards
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:56:06 -0400

This is primarily aimed at Josh, but I'll take advice from
anyone. :)

I've been using GnuRadio and GRC for about 9 months, and
built several successful receiver projects.

Recently, I've tried my first transmitter project and run into
a snag.  According to our hardware spectrum analyzer, I'm not
getting any RF output.  I've tried using a Basic-Tx, an LFTX,
an RFX-900, and an RFX-2400.  The Basic and the LFTX put out
nothing, and the two RFX boards put out a feeble carrier at
about -80dbm.  This is so weak that the LO leakage swamps
it (we read that at about -60dbm, 4 MHz above of the carrier).

I even tried a different USRP motherboard and TX daughterboard
that were borrowed from another project and known to be working,
with the same results. So I'm pretty sure it's not a HW problem.

And I can't believe there would be such a fundamental flaw in
the GRC/GnuRadio combination, so I've got to believe it's a
configuration problem. I must be missing something really stupid!

Here's my setup information:

GnuRadio 3.1.1 (release version)
GRC      0.69 (release version)
USRP     Rev 4.5
Mac OSX  10.4.11 (Intel Core2-Duo)

When I setup the TX daughterboards in GRC, here's the
parameters I use:

Basic-TX or LFTX:
    Unit:     0
    Side:     Side B
    Freq:     30000000
    Interp:   20
    Gain:     0
    Mux:      0x0     (0 causes automatic calculation)
    Auto T/R: Ignore  (only used on Flex dboards)
    TX Enab:  Ignore  (only used on Flex dboards)

RFX-900:
    Unit:     0
    Side:     Side A
    Freq:     1000000000
    Interp:   20
    Gain:     0
    Mux:      0x0     (0 causes automatic calculation)
    Auto T/R: Ignore
    TX Enab:  Enable

RFX-2400
    Unit:     0
    Side:     Side A
    Freq:     2400000000
    Interp:   20
    Gain:     0
    Mux:      0x0     (0 causes automatic calculation)
    Auto T/R: Ignore
    TX Enab:  Enable

What am I missing???