Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC bug in Variable Sink

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC bug in Variable Sink
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:42:52 -0400

Josh Blum wrote:
Ed,

Its seems that the variable sink casts the number to a float: numpy.fromstring (s, numpy.float32) regardless of the input type. I admit that I didnt know 100% what i was doing when I made this variable sink...

So, only use the variable sink as a float input type, and place a short to float converter between the udp sink and the variable sink. (there is currently no int to float converter in gnuradio) I hope that works!

Yes, that's what I've been doing.  It works.  I've also written
the missing gr_int_to_float and gr_float_to_int blocks, as well as a
gr_network_to_host_ii byte order swapper block.  If there's general
interest in these blocks, I can submit them for inclusion in GnuRadio.

Since it seems to be useful, I will make a shiny new variable sink in the grc trunk. BTW, there is a converter script now for older flow graphs if you are willing to try it out.

Sure.  How do I get to it?