[Discuss-gnuradio] help with "safe" and "clean" band

From: Mihail L. Sichitiu
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] help with "safe" and "clean" band
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:24:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi there,

I'm brand new at this GNU Radio thing, so please forgive me if my question
has a "well-known" answer. I'd like to try out some performance tests on a
few modulation schemes, so I need a clean band for these tests. Obviously
the 2.4GHz ISM band is full of interference, and I assume that this goes
for all the other ISM bands, right?

If this is the case, is there a well-known relatively quiet band where I
can run these tests without interfering with anything important, without
being interfered with, and without getting in trouble with FCC?

I imagine that if I'd have all the daughter boards I could do a long-term
(1-2 days) scan and find a quiet band and play in there (the tests are
likely short and low powered). The problem is that I only have the 2.4GHz
daughter-boards and I'd like to buy only the "right" daughter-boards (as
opposed to all of them to find an empty band).

Thanks for the help,
Mihai