Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How hard would it be?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How hard would it be?
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:54:35 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:27:50AM -0700, KevinZ wrote:

> Hi, I'm a grad student looking into gnuRadio/USRP for a project and had a
> question. Looking everything over, it's all very intimidating. None of the
> people I work with are coders, nor do we have a lot of experience with RF
> hardware. We're hoping to basically output RF range signals (sine waves) for
> jamming type purposes. How difficult would you all estimate it would be to
> get such a basic system running?
>
> Thanks!

Independent of GNU Radio, even trying to have a sensible conversation
about jamming without a basic grip on RF or how receivers work or the
characteristics of the system you're trying to jam, is a pretty big
stretch.

There are lots of textbooks on jamming and anti-jamming.  You might
want to take a look at one or two to get yourself familiar with the
domain.  Look for titles containing words such as "jamming", "electronic
countermeasures", or "electronic warfare".  Artech House and SciTech
publish a bunch of them.

  http://www.scitechpublishing.com
  http://www.artechhouse.com/Default.asp?Search=1&Frame=SubjectList.asp

It's an interesting area.  Have fun!