Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] intermediate FI for RFX 2400

From: Jonathan Friedman
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] intermediate FI for RFX 2400
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 02:42:53 -0700

Are you asking about the IF? The USRP does not really use an IF, it does direct up/down conversion using a rough Hartley modulator/demodulator architecture. When you tell it to plot spectrum over a certain frequency band it will behave like a swept-tuned spectrum analyzer by sweeping through the band-of-interest (BOI) in amounts equal to its bandwidth (datarate / decimation ratio / 2). If you want to see a single band which is within its real-time bandwidth capabilities it sets the local-oscillator to the lowest frequency in your BOI. Then you get, after down-conversion, baseband's DC = f_BOI_min and baseband's max = f_usrp_max_bandwidth. I'm not sure if that answers your question, but please feel free to post a follow-up.

Cheers,
-Jonathan

Jonathan Friedman
Networked and Embedded Systems Lab (NESL)
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)