Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] unknown phase-relation between rx and tx

From: Jonathan Friedman
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] unknown phase-relation between rx and tx
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 04:44:15 -0700

That's true, but their are two frequency synthesizers (ADF4360-0 on my
flex2400) on each flex daughter card (one for TX and one for RX -- or
more generically one for each sub-subdevice). On the basic daughter
cards (which only have one sub-subdevice) there is only one
synthesizer, but you need a second daughter card to complete the path
(one for TX, one for RX).

Ultimately, this is not a software (firmware fix) or sampling problem
(use the same ADC or supply sync signal). This is a physics problem
that results from using two independent oscaillators that are not
phase locked to each other. Resultingly, you need a hardware fix to
achieve coherence. That said, this is a problem that will manifest
itself in your real-world application and is not easy to solve except
by phase locking the oscillators through a cable (which doesn't work
well for anything, except really short separation distances).

What is your ultimate application?

Cheers,
-Jonathan