Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ADSL Modem

From: Charles Wyble
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ADSL Modem
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:17:41 -0700

Martin Braun wrote:
On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:07:00AM -0700, Charles N Wyble wrote:
Has anyone ever implemented ADSL using GNU Radio. It should be
possible rite?
Hmmmm. Not sure why it would be possible. GNU Radio as far as I can tell
is focused on radio. :)

Hm, DSL is basically OFDM over copper. So why shouldn't it work? It
would be an interesting application for the OFDM code.
Well.... I don't know if it's quite that simple :)

Layer 1 may be OFDM over copper, but beyond that things get really complicated really fast. Check out http://ifctfvax.harhan.org/OpenSDSL/
for research done into SDSL.

I have been doing quite a bit of research into DSL lately, and would be very interested in any research done into it. If using GnuRADIO works
then go for it!

Linux has an ATM stack. It also has ATM over ethernet emulation.

Although I'm not quite sure what you'd experiment on unless you have a
DSLAM lying around :)
Keep an eye on Ebay and Craigslist. (Apologies to anyone not in the US as its quite difficult to get a DSLAM from ebay outside the US if current listings are
any indication. Most seem to only ship to the US).

Alternatively one might be able to whip up something using CAT5 cable as the layer one and a linux box on the back end with ATM over ethernet and RADIUS/PPPoE... but it would be one heck of a hack.

I'm actually crazy enough to participate in said hack. Feel free to ping me off list for more details.

Bandwidth isn't necessarily huge, either, so you might even be able to
able to use a USRP if you know how to connect analog stuff up (That's
all voodoo to me...).

Indeed. I'm starting to research it in detail.... needles to say its quite complex :)
Although I agree with Charles that I'm not sure what you'd want to do
with it, unless you're simply looking forward to the challenge.

Yes. The practical applications aren't immediately apparent, unless you simply want to really really really really really really understand ADSL. :) '

Given that its perhaps the most deployed local loop technology for broadband on the planet, that's not a bad thing. (I'm pretty sure it beats the number
of deployed T1 circuits.)

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com