[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Basic RX. - usrp_wfm_rcv.py

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Basic RX. - usrp_wfm_rcv.py
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:47:03 +0200

Rita's pfc wrote am 2008-07-25 17:39:

First of all, I've run the dial_tone.py example, and it was ok. Then, I
wanted to use the USRP, so the next example I wanted to test was the
usrp_wfm_rcv.py. I've connected a Basic Rx daughterboard to RXB. I write
./usrp_wfm_rcv.py -f 100, I get an error message: FYI: No powermate or
Contour Knob found; http://www.nabble.com/file/p18654189/error_fm.jpg

This is more an information message than error. The Powermate and the Contour knob, if present, are used for more convenient usage, but the program still runs without any of them. You can use the interface with the mouse without a drawback.

Regarding your problem: The option "-f 100" in your command instructs your program to listen FM at a frequency of 100Hz. The option takes magnitude suffixes, so you'd rather want "-f 100M". Choose a frequency of a strong radio station in your area.

You will not be able to listen so FM radio without a adequate antenna. For a dipole the receiving length of your antenna should be in the order of lambda/2, that is c/f/2 = 3*10^8/1*10^8/2=1.5m.

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at student dot tugraz dot at>