Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS L2C transmissions?

From: Carles Fernandez
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS L2C transmissions?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:45:35 +0200

Maybe little bit off-topic in this list, but any of you have tried gpstk (http://www.gpstk.org/bin/view/Documentation/WebHome)?

I'm trying to use it in combination with gps-sdr. I'll keep you updated on my progress!

BR,
Carles

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Peter Monta <address@hidden> wrote:

>From my knowledge all the semi-codeless tracking algorithms are heavily patented, and hence cannot be found in textbooks or in any open forum.

But the patents themselves contain pretty good descriptions of the techniques;
also there is this paper:

http://www.navcomtech.com/Support/Download/Optimum%20Semi-Codeless%20Carrier%20Phase%20Tracking%20of%20L2.pdf

which summarizes all the options and adds a soft-decision refinement to
Z-tracking.  Some of the patents will expire pretty soon, probably before
L2C is fully usable.

There ought to be a fully open-source, geodetic-quality, dual-frequency (or
tri-frequency once we have L5, or quad- or quint-frequency once we have
Galileo and Glonass and accurate IGS orbits and clock ties for these other
GNSS systems), software receiver.  I have no real connection with any of
this (just a hobbyist), but I'd enjoy having access to state-of-the-art timing
and survey solutions.

Finally snagged a dual-frequency antenna on Ebay a few weeks ago, so
only software sits between me and centimeter positioning and subnanosecond
UTC (or UTC(GPS) or UTC(IGS) anyway).

Cheers,
Peter