Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband timestamp issues

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband timestamp issues
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:45:06 -0700

Steve Peters wrote:
The current inband RX chain looks like:

   N RX Sample Streams -> N RX Sample FIFOs -> 1 Packet Builder -> 1
USB FIFO -> FX2 USB Interface

What it should look like (in my opinion):

   N RX Sample Streams -> N Packet Builders -> N Packet FIFOs -> N:1
FIFO MUX -> FX2 USB Interface

I agree with this solution, I think this is what Ketan's idea was that
I explained terribly in my last email.  Hopefully removing the USB
FIFO will allow the extra packet builders room on the chip.

I think that this is the right thing to do. Now we just have to get it done. I could probably start working on it Monday when I get back.

On a side note, it might be interesting to have a command that can
turn on the receiver and receive a specific number of inband packets.
For example, if you know you may be receiving a transmission that is
only 2ms long in a specific slot, it might be beneficial to only
schedule 2ms (+/- a guard time) worth of samples to be delivered to
the host, freeing up more CPU cycles for signal processing and using
the USB bandwidth a little more efficiently.

I'm not too concerned about this, although it would certainly improve
the flexibility of the receiver.  This might also require redesigning
the usrp_rx mblock, but I'm not confident about that.

This is definitely possible, and would be best implemented over the CS channel to the USRP. usrp_rx would not need changed, as it simply does a read(). If the USRP is withholding samples, its simply going to block.

- George