[Discuss-gnuradio] 3rd party software (was comedilib question)

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3rd party software (was comedilib question)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:55:20 -0700

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Dan Halperin
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On this note, but slightly tangential, there are a bunch of third party
> gnuradio plugins that are not being kept up to date and even no longer work
> with gnuradio without significant changes. (E.g., top block vs flow graph).
> Do you think we can create space in SVN somewhere for the updated versions
> of these codes? I'm thinking about gr-ucla and maybe the BBN 802.11 stuff as
> well.

There are two issues with this.

The first is that the software you describe seems to not have a
maintainers, and thus the bit-rot has set in.  Having it in our SVN
doesn't change anything.

Secondly, with a few very rare exceptions, the host software in our
repository has all of its source code copyrights assigned to the Free
Software Foundation.  So, even if we had committed maintainers for
this 3rd party code, we'd need to get copyright assignments from the
original authors.

That said, I'd be happy to help you and/or others to get them up to
date.  Since they are all GPL, there is no issue with hosting them
somewhere else and patching them up to be current.  We could even have
a wiki page dedicated to these efforts.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC