Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA / new rx_buffer_inband

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA / new rx_buffer_inband
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:06:55 -0400

Eric Blossom wrote:
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 04:49:23PM -0400, Brian Padalino wrote:
Problems arise when you want to ensure your FIFO is not full and not
empty.  As a message passing mechanism, it works pretty well as just a
DPRAM.  As the FIFO, there are counters involved which can cause
timing issues when dealing with asynchronous clocks.

I'm not even too concerned about the dual timestamp counters at the moment.
Is there any suspicion that they are ever unaligned?
If it's coming from two different parts of the chip with two
independent reset signals, then yes there is always suspicion that
they are unaligned.

That there ever were two counters was a bug.

I'm not sure what code you started from, Eric S. ... I had mentioned I had some fixes in my own developer branch, one of which was making sure there was only 1 counter:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/changeset/8987
http://gnuradio.org/trac/changeset/8988
http://gnuradio.org/trac/changeset/8990

I think that we're talking about the same thing here.

- George