Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Important: New trunk dependency: GSL

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Important: New trunk dependency: GSL
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:07:27 -0400

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 03:40:56PM -0400, Philip Balister wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'll be adding the GNU Scientific Library (GSL) as a new dependency
>> > on the trunk.  GSL is a huge numerical library that's been under
>> > active development for more than 10 years:
>> >
>> >  http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl
>>
>> I've been making progress getting GNU Radio trunk running on the OMAP3
>> and now you toss this my way. Fortunately, OpenEmbedded already knows
>> about gsl and it builds for the beagle.
>>
>> But, I am still curious, what parts of GNU Radio use gsl?  Will it be
>> possible to deply GNU Radio apps that do not need it? Or will gsl
>> creep into the very core of GNU Radio?
>>
>> Philip
>
> At this instant nothing uses it.
>
> There are some wavelet blocks and polyphase filtering coming soon that need
> it.
> Today's msg was the advanced warning.

Thanks for the warning. I'm not terribly unhappy with gsl, except that
for good performance on the OMAP3 I'd have to look into the guts to
add NEON specific routines and my todo list grows without limit :(

> If this turns out to be a pain, we could probably make it optional,
> but then we'd need (even more) conditional build stuff.

Have you ever thought about creating a structure to build sets of
blocks outside the main source tree? Having this structure in place
would be a big help for "outside" developers also.

Philip