Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frequency Step

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Frequency Step
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:01:21 -0700

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 05:38:02PM -0600, Gnu Radio Explorer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was going through user manual at
> http://rapidshare.com/files/72169239/Simple-Gnuradio-User-Manual-v1.0.pdf
>
> In this document I see something called "Frequency Step". For example, Page#
> 183 lists flex_2400_tx has a min freq, max freq and freq step of 2300 MHz,
> 2900 MHz, and 4 MHz respectively. What does "Frequency Step" actually mean?
>
> Thanks.

For most purposes it means nothing.  Tuning is a two step process.
First the front end is tuned, then the DDC is used to get the signal
where you want.  In your case, the front end has a step size of 4MHz,
but the library knows that and adjusts the DDC to give you the
frequency that you ask for.

I believe there's a write up in the FAQ on tuning.

Eric