Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] super fast gnuradio PC

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] super fast gnuradio PC
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:21:11 -0400

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Achilleas Anastasopoulos
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I apologize for the slightly off topic.
>
> I had just received a donation from Intel of
> 8 quad-core XEON processors E5440 and I was thinking
> of building a super fast gnuradio PC system.
> Does anyone have an idea as to what is the best way to utilize these
> processors to build a super fast PC system for gnuradio?
> Are there any 4-slot motherboards?

Quad socket intel boards are highly specialized parts, not just off
the shelf.   The S771 cpus are not quad-socket compatible as far as I
know.

Even for Opteron, where quad-socket is an off the shelf part it is
still much more expensive than dual socket boards.

You could, however, build 4 dual socket systems, connect them up with
some fast network cards (I'm fond of cheap infiniband cards from ebay
for this sort of thing :)) and create some GR blocks that dispatched
processing to other computers.

On this subject:  Are the frames output by USRP2 broadcast or
multicast?   It would be neat to setup a cluster of systems all spying
the same 25mhz of spectrum and doing things with it.