Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 FPGA Notes

From: Michael Gray
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 FPGA Notes
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:10:52 -0700

Another suggestion is to contact your local Xilinx FAE and ask them for a copy of the tool set for the larger FPGA. Also ask them why they don't include the larger device in the no cost Web Pack. I never understood why all the devices weren't included in the Web Pack. The higher end parts have better margin and only lead to more sales for Xilinx.

I understand them wanting to sell a support contract. But for Open Source/Student projects or corporate project where you don't need factory support, give us the tools.

Anyway, if enough people ask NICELY, perhaps Xilinx will add more parts to future releases of Web Pack.

Matt Ettus wrote:

David,

I understand your frustration. Please understand that this decision was not made lightly. We started out with the Spartan 3-1500 which is the largest chip supported by the free tools. As we progressed, it became apparent that there was not enough Block RAM to cram in all firmware for the functionality we wanted at the same time.

I have some comments on your comments below, plus another possible solution at the end....

David M. Witten II wrote:
> - Just use the prebuilt FPGA images we provide
To what end?  Just to duplicate the efforts of others?

You should note that the vast majority of users of the original USRP never needed to use anything other than the standard FPGA build which we provided, and we anticipate that will be the case with the USRP2. Remember, the easiest place to do all of your processing is in the host computer, and we provide standard images which will allow you to do that. Even the guys who built that complete GSM basestation out of a USRP1 used the standard FPGA build. Also note that you can still write your own firmware for the processor in the FPGA, you just couldn't change logic around.

> - Get a 60 day demo version from the Xilinx Web Site
60 days to conceive, implement, and debug - it can take 60 days to get tools of this scale installed correctly.

I believe that you can get a new license repeatedly, so you could "renew" every 60 days without reinstalling the tools. I realize that this is not optimal.

> - Release your changes to the community and we can find some sort of way > to build them for you (if anybody wants to work on putting together some
> scripts to do this automatically, let me know).
An appealing idea, and it fits the community model well, but even if it doesn't get the wind up the skirts of the legal types at Xylinx to have their tools used in this way, I find it difficult to imagine how this would not be cumbersome to the point of unusability.

Still hoping for an alternative...

Well here is one alternative. The S3-1500 is pin compatible with the 2000. If enough people wish to purchase a special version with the smaller FPGA I can have a number of them built that way. You would have to do some work to save a few block RAMs, but this isn't impossible. My last version that used the 1500 (rev 1) should still be in the repository.

Please let me know what you think.

Matt