Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] question about the receiver sensitivity

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] question about the receiver sensitivity
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:26:32 -0700

Bill Stevenson wrote:
Hello, all

I am using USRP1 board with RFX Transceivers and I want to know the receiver sensitivity of the daugterboards. For example, for BER less than 1e-5 and data rate 54Mbps, the 802.11a standard specifies the receiver sensitivity to be at least -65dbm. Once the receiver sensitivity is known, the transmission range will be determined, so i want to know the sensitivity for the RFX boards. Could anyone tell me? Thank you!

Sensitivity is a very hard parameter to define, since it depends on many factors including the modulation system in use. The best way to spec a general radio is with the noise figure. The RFX boards all have a noise figure in the 6-10 dB range. If you need one lower than that you can use an LNA in front of it.

Matt