Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Any tutorials (documentation) about gr-radar-mono

From: Bruhtesfa Ebrahim
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Any tutorials (documentation) about gr-radar-mono
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:48:06 +0100

Thanks Martin!

It is good comment!
I will now look for my options!

Bruhtesfa

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Martin DvH <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 20:14 +0100, Bruhtesfa Ebrahim wrote:
> Hi Johnathan,
>
> Thank you so much for the advise that you gave me ! ! !
> Could you also look at the following description and give me your
> comment.? - Thanks
>
> Ya! I am looking to detect human motion at a distance of minimum 1
> meter and maximum 10 meter.
> I have one USRP and two XCVR2450 Trancievers(operating freq. 2.45GHz),
> which I will be using one of them as transmitter and the
> other as reciever. So, I have two possible ways of implemetation.
>
>  1) As pulse doppler radar = here to get a minimum distance of 1
> meter, the usrp should transmit  a pulse of width 5 nanosec, then
> should stop and the reciever should start to recieve, then to measure
>  a velocity as high as 3m/sec, I can use PRF of 100.  Here the problem
> is as you said the USRP can not generate such a short pulse of 5
> nanosec, plus it can not switch between transmitter and reciever so
> fast.
>
> 2) As CW radar = here my idea is to transmit a CW from one shell
> script and recieve the reflected data at the same time in another
> shell script. Here the problem is the isolation between the transmit
> and recieve paths. The data I recieve will not be just a reflected
> data but also signal from the transmitter.
>
> This means both of the implementation ways have problem.
> So, what do you suggest?
Just my 2 cents.
I would suggest using sound in stead of radio waves.
The lower speed of soundwaves (around 300 m/sec) means the timings go
down with a factor 1000000 and you could do very precise short-range
radar (actually sonar).

You could still use the USRP. Just use amplifiers and ultrasonic
transducers in stead of antenna's.

Good luck,
Martin