Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Inquiry about automatic gain control

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Inquiry about automatic gain control
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:58:47 -0500

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:53 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to achieve a goal of controlling the AGC, please help.
>
> Here is what I have so far, for the automatic gain control (AGC):
>
> I have found in the module adc_interface (which is in
> fpga\sdr_lib\adc_interface) a comment about level sensing for the AGC.
>
> I am assuming the module rssi and module adc_interface is where the AGC is
> controlled?
>
> If not where do I go about turning on or off the AGC. The rssi is used to
> sense
> the signal strength in the fpga and that is feedback to the ADC which controls
> the AGC, is that correct?

I don't believe there is any AGC actually going on at all.  Please see here:

    http://gnuradio.org/trac/ticket/66

> After I know how to turn on and off the AGC, how do I adjust the gain of the
> amplifier?

You need to familiarize yourself with the gain settings of the
different daughterboards and how their gains are controlled.

The Python db code is probably a good place to start looking.

> If I wanted to make a block diagram, or refer to a schematic that involves the
> AGC, where should I start?
>
> Is the AGC located before the ADC, and the ADC is contained in the fpga,
> right?

The ADC is an external chip.  The data feeds into the FPGA where it is
then processed.

> Thank you so much for your time and help,

Good luck.

Brian